Sunday, October 4, 2015

The Morning After Day 1






I downloaded a book onto my Kindle yesterday called Ketogenic Diet: Ketogenic Diet Mistakes You Need to Know by Sarah Givens. Mistake #2 is scale watching, # 3 is Measuring Ketones. If you recall in yesterday's post, I shared that my urine stick did not register excess ketones. Yet, I still lost a little more than one pound at the time of weigh-in first thing this morning.

The author states that measuring ketones on ketone measuring sticks is only one way of determining ketosis. The accuracy of this depends upon many things. These levels naturally rise and fall throughout the day and are affected by salt and water consumption. She states that many newcomers to ketogenic diets become obsessed with these urine keto sticks.

Tell me about it. I tried it twice yesterday. Both times, no ketones showed up on the strip. I thought,"It did not work." Until I read this book and then saw that I lost 1.2 pounds.

 Measuring blood ketones is more accurate than urine measurements but I am NOT going to buy a finger pricking ketone measuring device. No thanks.

Givens says there are other ways to see if one is in the state of ketosis:

  1. sweet, fruity or metal taste in mouth
  2. loss of food cravings
  3. weak odor of acetone on skin or breath
  4. increased mental clarity
  5. euphoria or general sense of well-being
  6. reduced appetite
  7. stronger smelling urine
  8. more energy
  9. increased thirst
My food cravings are gone. I feel great. My mind does not feel cloudy. My urine is smelling  a little stronger than usual and I am thirsty. I have not been as hungry.

All good signs.

I am glad that I do not have to obsess over the keto sticks. As long as I am losing fat inches and adding health benefits, the sticks don't matter to me ANYMORE.

I thank God for books!

Getting Fit with you
Dr. Carol ND

No comments:

Post a Comment